Durbin: $4.7 Million for Water Projects will Benefit Homeowners, Local Economy

[SPRING VALLEY, IL] – U.S. Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL) held a news conference today to discuss federal funding in the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act that will create jobs in the struggling construction industry and provide relief from flooding and sewage backups for local homeowners.
“Water projects like these and others across Illinois are helping put contractors and their workers back on the street,” Durbin said.  “These are jobs that can’t be outsourced – cleaning our drinking water, keeping flood water out of basements and repairing our aging water lines.”
The money is going right into the local economy and will benefit local workers in the construction industry—the hardest hit economic sector.  Unemployment in the construction industry reached 27 percent nationwide last month, meaning 1 out of every 4 workers in the construction industry is out of work.
Spring Valley will use the Recovery Act funding to construct new storm sewers and make a major upgrade in the city’s public water supply system by replacing the water mains.
Sewers that are currently combined will be separated in connection with the city’s long-term control plan to eliminate combined sewer overflows—and the basement backups that go with them.  Basements have flooded repeatedly in the area during heavy rains.  Several homeowners saw their water and insurance rates rise and insurance companies denied flood insurance coverage to homeowners with chronic flooding problems.
“Homeowners shouldn’t have to wonder if their basement will be ruined again every time they hear thunder,” Durbin said.  “Without these Recovery Act funds, Spring Valley could not go forward with this project.”
The current 100-year old water mains are deteriorating and undersized.  New water mains will reduce the number and frequency of water main breaks, improve system pressure and provide better flow for firefighters to protect homes and businesses.
Of the $4.7 million in Recovery Act funds, 25 percent of the money is a grant to the community while the remaining 75 percent is a 0 percent interest loan.