Durbin Announces $16.3 Million in Illinois Airport Infrastructure
[WASHINGTON, DC] – U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL) announced today that several Illinois airports have received a total of $16,328,409 in grants through the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) for infrastructure improvements and upgrades.
“Today’s grants will allow airports in Illinois to make needed improvements and upgrades to help them serve travelers more safely and efficiently,” said Durbin.
The following investments in Illinois’ transportation infrastructure were made under this announcement:
- Chicago Midway International Airport, City of Chicago: $1,870,316 in funding to rehabilitate existing runway (13L/31R) pavement at the airport;
- Abraham Lincoln Capital Airport, Springfield Airport Authority: $541,500 in funding to acquire an aircraft rescue and fire fighting vehicle that will provide the airport with rescue and fire fighting coverage when the main vehicle is unavailable. The funding will also be used to modify the airport terminal to accommodate the Americans with Disabilities Act requirements, install a windcone and rehabilitate the airport’s access road;
- Quad City International Airport, Metropolitan Airport Authority of Rock Island County: $1,607,929 in funding to rehabilitate an existing runway at the airport;
- Quad City International Airport, Metropolitan Airport Authority of Rock Island County: $1,247,350 in funding to update the existing master plan to help identify future airport needs at the airport;
- Central Illinois Regional Airport, Bloomington-Normal Airport Authority: $3,327,066 in funding for the acquisition and installation of five jet boarding bridges for the terminal building at the airport;
- Central Illinois Regional Airport, Bloomington-Normal Airport Authority: $187,291 in funding to conduct a Wildlife Hazard Assessment to identify the wildlife species observed and assess their numbers, locations, local movement and daily/seasonal activities at the airport;
- Chicago / Rockford International Airport, Greater Rockford Airport Authority: $1,307,964 in funding for the construction of an apron that is needed to provide aircraft parking necessary to meet current operational demands at the airport; and
- State of Illinois: $6,238,993 in funding to the Illinois State Block Grant Program which provides funding to conduct various improvements at non-primary airports in the state of Illinois.
Previous Article Next Article