Durbin Announces a Nearly $700,000 Investment in Illinois First-responder Capabilities
[WASHINGTON, DC] – U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL) announced that the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), part of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), has made a $693,876 investment in seven fire departments in Illinois. Today’s funding will help support and improve the capability of each department and protection district to respond to fires and other types of emergencies.
“Our nation's firefighters are called upon day after day to protect America's citizens,” Durbin said. “As these brave men and women put themselves in harm’s way, we must ensure that they are equipped with the best tools possible to do their jobs well, and today’s grants will help meet that goal.”
The funding is provided through the DHS’s Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) Program – a competitive grant program which seeks to strengthen the Nation’s overall level of preparedness and ability to respond to fire and fire related hazards. In the 2010 award year, Illinois received 132 awards which totaled over $14.8 million in federal funding to first-responder organizations for the purchase response equipment, personal protective equipment, training, and vehicles. In FY2011, the program will award approximately $380 million nationwide.
Under this announcement, the following fire departments will receive funding for vehicle acquisition:
- Franklin Park Fire Department, Franklin Park: $332,500 in funding; and
- Nokomis Area Fire Protection District, Nokomis: $166,250 in funding.
Under this announcement, the following fire departments will receive funding for operations and safety activities:
- Central Warren County Fire Protection District, Kirkwood: $24,700 in funding;
- Chapin Area Squad, Chapin: $62,130 in funding;
- LeRoy Emergency Ambulance Service Inc., LeRoy: $29,450 in funding;
- McNabb Fire Protection District, McNabb: $40,185 in funding; and
- Scales Mound Fire Protection District, Scales Mound: $38,661 in funding.
Previous Article Next Article